Monday, November 15, 2010

Blanched Spinach

Lately, I am into Korean food. I found that some of the Korean food really suit my taste. I especially like their banchan, those small side dishes served with rice. Here is my attempt to make Korean blanched spinach.

Ingredients


1 bunch of green spinach
1 tsp minced garlic (optional)
1 tbsp sesame oil
salt and sugar to taste
sesame seeds (optional)


Directions
  1. Clean and blanch the spinach. Drain and squeeze out excess water gently.
  2. Transfer spinach to a large bowl. Add in minced garlic, sesame oil, salt and sugar.
  3. Mix gently, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve


This recipe is very flexible. If you like crunchy spinach, cut down the blanching time. If you don't like garlic, no problem, dismiss the garlic.

Tips
  1. Sugar is not the usual part of this type of recipe. However, adding a pinch of sugar will lift the taste and add the sweetness to it.
  2. Toast the sesame seeds to bring out the its wonderful smell. I use both black sesame seeds and white sesame seeds. I also toasted them together until the white sesame seeds are lightly brown.

"If Yan can cook, so can you" - not necessarily ...
"If Pauline can cook, so can you" - definitely!!!

2 comments:

  1. Is it raw garlic or cooked? Are those sesame seeds toasted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original recipe calls for raw garlic, but I sautes mine with cooking oil in order to bring out the garlic fragrant and this also means that I add some garlic oil to the blanched spinach. Toasted or not up to your preference. Again, I toasted mine to bring out the fragrant more .. :D

    Btw, thanks for visiting. Hoping over to your blog... Wow, so many information

    ReplyDelete